Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Jet lag, an effort to stay awake.

In an effort to keep myself awake for two more hours, here is a post:

I think I set foot in the Middle East when I got to my gate in Detroit. Over half the passengers (by no scientific data other than my listening) were speaking Hebrew or Arabic. Despite having an extra seat next to me, it was quickly taken over by a couple with a baby. The man took the seat next to me and proceeded to be the world's biggest man spreader while his wife took care of his baby who had a whole seat to his tiny little self. I spent basically the entire flight fighting for some space on the arm rest while listening to the dulcet tones of this baby crying. I usually try to be super generous and forgiving of babies on planes because I know it is so hard to be the parent but this dude and his man spreading made me lose all sympathy. 

My Paris flight was exclusively Jews, most of them frum 8th grade girls on a middle school trip. There was a lot of davening. 

Because a student of ours was detained for seven hours in the airport on Thursday, I decided to sign myself up for the program all the other students are using, where someone meets you and escorts you through security. At the end of the jetway I was swept down an elevator and out to a car then driven around the planes to another entrance back to the airport where I was given the opportunity to take a smoking break before heading inside to passport control. In the end it was highly unnecessary as I made it through security just fine, but I did enjoy having an escort take me around and carry my bags for me! 

In conclusion because I cannot stay awake any longer, I ate an enormous falafel, I walked along the beach, and now I am listening to the familiar sounds of driveways being hosed down - an Israeli activity I have never understood. 

For now, here I am in my happy place. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment